What being a facilitator means:
Being a Support Group Facilitator for our either in person or online support groups can be difficult. It requires a knowledge base for the issues that many minority or different cultures will go through, a connection to people that only comes with true caring for another's situation, and an empathy that is rock-solid and does not waver with time.
Still however, without a facilitator's help, many people will go without the necessary support from others in the LGBT+ community to go on living. Many could become at-risk individuals or homeless because they couldn't hold on any more. For this reason we are looking for compassionate, resilient, community members to become community leaders!
Requirements to take this certification training:
- You must be over the age of 18, and presently reside in America
- You cannot have or be in training for an official medical license that would make you a mandatory reporter.
- You must be LGBTQ+ of some form, have held that identity for a minimum of 3 months, and have a stable support system already to be a facilitator with us (if a LGBT+ non-profit organization is backing you, this does not apply).
- If you have an organization backing you as a facilitator please receive a recommendation letter from a member of that organization to present for training by email if you are accepted.
- To be accepted you must commit to a 3 week training session followed by one month of hosting the group with us to ensure you are properly able and certified to run a group. Renewal of your certification is required 1 year after receiving your first one but only once every 3-4 years after that.
- You should already have a support group you would like to host in mind that is specific to a sub-set of LGBTQ+ people either in your area or online. For instance this group could be specifically for stealth post-op trans* women or trans* men not on T yet.
The training Process:
Our training process is intended to be all-inclusive and certified by our partner organizations in LGBTQ+ and intersectng spaces. This training will last 3 weeks and you will receive official certification upon passing by email and mail within 3 weeks. This training is certified by a suite of organizations who have graciously provided us their training materials and content to create this training.
The process is as follows:
The process is as follows:
- Week 1: Training
- After being confirmed to begin you will receive a message to schedule your first training day (A 2 hour session with a trainer) and the first training deck (introduction, syllabus, and general information). You must go through the first deck and its requisite homework before your first training day begins.
- At the end of your 2 hour training day session you will be given the second powerpoint (cultural sensitivity training part 1) and schedule your second training day. Just as with the first, all homework from the 1st training day, 2nd deck and it's homework is due by the 2nd day.
- A third and 4th day will be scheduled in the same manner. with the third powerpoint being cultural sensitivity part 2, and the 4th being platform and group development training.
- Week 2: Observation
- Once you have finished week 1's training sessions you will be attending a support group held by another member. You will tell them you are training as a facilitator and carefully watch how the session goes. This is observational time and the facilitator of the group will be training you.
- Before and after your support group session you will have a 1x1 with your mentor where they can answer questions, offer pointers, etc.
- You will have completed your support group proposal by the end of the first week and this will be scheduled into our system as a consistent event. This will be set for 1 month out from your last training session.
- Week 3: Assisted facilitation
- This week you will attend another support group and you will be co-facilitating it with the facilitator of that meeting. Your assigned facilitator will be observing so as to advise you afterward.
- You will have another 1x1 before and after the group with your facilitator.
- Your facilitator will provide notes on your abilities to RESCQU NET as well as any sponsoring organizations. You will also be provided a 1-hour timed test on all of the information provided to you in week one of your trainings to ensure you still remember it.
- If you have passed your test, and the mentor has good reviews you will receive your 1 year certification.
- Next month: Facilitating on your own
- Your first session for your own group will begin at this time and you will be on your own facilitating and advertising the group. During these times we want to ensure you have strong connections and support so you will still have 1x1s with your mentor as you deem fit. Additionally you will be required to come to a once monthly facilitator's meeting and discuss where you are, what issues you are having, and what you need for us to best support you.
- You may continue your group with us, with your organization, or begin one on your own.
- When your 1 year certification is up we will send you a reminder and ask you to re-take the test for your certification to ensure everything is concrete, at which point you will recieve a full 3 year certification upon passing..